Categories
Uncategorized

Engaging your PLN

Can your PLN be used to help professional development post-course?

I believe that my Personal Learning Network can be used to help professional development post EDCI 338. I believe that this course has offered me new insight on how I can better develop my professional PLN in the community outreach program that I work with. For example, I have never blog before taking this course, so far, I believe that I have developed more awareness and have begun to curate social media PLN for my personal and professional life.

For example, I have never blog before taking this course, so far, I believe that I have developed more awareness and have begun to curate social media PLN for my personal and professional life.

Can your PLN be relied on to open professional opportunities?

I believe that my PLN is capable of opening professional opportunities for myself and other. This is because world wide, “digital network environment has enhanced the practical abilities of individuals” (Del Giudice et al., 2014). Take for example on social media, in the case of Khabane Lame who is known on Tic Tok as a content creator had worked for Lame worked as a CNC machine operator at a factory near Turin, before getting laid off in March 2020. From there he began to create social media contents without saying a word but making gesture and actions to describe his contents. My social media can create a professional for me through job search after creation and I can share research information on my blog to other users after this course.

Change in My PLN Perspectives

The nature of change in perspective that I have experienced in this course is the ability to be open to opposing views in all platforms in the use of social media. My perspectives have shifted from being closed-minded to being open to dialogues that may be uncomfortable and appears to be insensitive to others. By giving others the opportunity to express their opposing views even though they may be wrong. For example, avoiding muting people, my personal participation in cancel culture, being hyper sensitive and blocking others due to false news/alternative facts. Our perspective of social media in professional settings and personal use may be different but other people have the ability to research the truth by themselves and figure it out.

Fatehbir (2022), mentioned in her blog post on Social Media and Education about how educator became critical thinker, utilizing 280 character limit to communicate “concisely and effectively”. Truly a skill that needs harnessing for professional development and skills needed to help equip the youths that we support within our individual PLN as educators.

Del Giudice, M., Peruta, M. R. D., & Carayannis, E. G. (2014). Social Media and Developing Economies: Technologies, Cultural and Economic Implications. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-02490-5_5 VitalSource Bookshelf version].  Retrieved from vbk://Aax0shahTKEHaC1LTDOSipDoCc60rY6-5hP6hiLtaQA

Fatehbir (2022). Social Media & Education. Retrieved, from https://fdhaliwal338.opened.ca/social-media-education/